So what can you do to make sure you maintain focus as you put your business plan into action and move toward making your entrepreneurial goals become a reality?
Keep reading to find out, because eliminating distractions at work is exactly what we’ll be talking about in this post.
Setting Boundaries and Minimizing Stress
When it comes to keeping distractions at a minimum and working toward your goals as effectively as possible, there are several steps that a business leader like you can take.
But first, it helps to realize that distractions can take many different forms. They can be minor things like a ringing phone or a constant stream of emails, or major things like operational and financial issues.
So take a look at the following tips and see how they apply to both ends of the spectrum.
- Step 1: Prioritize – This is the first step for a reason. When you want to get work distractions out of your life, the first thing you need to do is take a look at all tasks for which you’re responsible and assign priorities. This includes everything from answering emails, to making sure your bills are paid, to seeing to any meetings that you have. By making sure the precedence is assigned where needed, you know what has to be taken care of right away and what might be able to wait until later.
- Step 2: Assess the Real Importance of Communication – Being in touch and establishing lasting lines of communication is a surefire way to build strong business relationships, but when does it become a distraction? If you’re like a lot of entrepreneurs and working professionals, then your phone is constantly in reach and your email is always open.It doesn’t need to be that way.To help get rid of distractions at work, have a block of time where your phone is turned off and only look at your email at certain times (like the beginning, middle, and end of your day, for instance). Put these things at the back of your mind while you work, and you will be better able to keep from being distracted at work while you focus on building your company.
- Step 3: Have Everything You Need on Hand – There’s nothing worse than having to deal with an impromptu search for important papers in the middle of a busy work session, so make things easier for yourself. Know what supplies and documents you’ll need beforehand and have them at the ready before you start. If your tasks for the day will involve budgeting, then make sure your financial statements are right there.If you need to pay bills, keep them stacked and in reach so that you can easily go through them one by one when the time arrives.What you ultimately need will vary depending on what you do, obviously, but there’s something to be said about getting rid of distractions at work by not having to look for something when the need for it arises.
- Step 4: Keep a Calendar – Set your tasks to a calendar so that you have an actual sense of when you want to accomplish something. It may seem like a small thing, but if you physically see something like “10am-12pm: Work on Project A”, it’s more likely that you will actually do it, right?By knowing that you have a set time to work on something, you can keep distractions at work to a minimum and focus on getting the job done before hitting the deadline you’ve established for yourself.
- Step 5: Don’t Procrastinate – This one is simple: Procrastination = Workplace Stress. If you have a task put in front of you, don’t put it off. The longer you wait to do something, the less likely it is that the quality will be as good as it should have been. Procrastination is not a trait that any good leader has ever had, so it’s not something you want either.
- Step 6: One Thing at a Time – Everything in moderation. It’s a given that taking on too much at once will lead to distractions at work, so you want to avoid that. It’s a simple thing to say that your focus should be on one thing and one thing only, but you’ll see just how effective practicing it is when you actually try it.
- Step 7: Be Consistent – Once you follow the above steps in eliminating distractions at work, it helps to practice them and make them into habits that will be hard to break. Using these habits to carry out your business operations will allow you to build a strong foundation and create a business brand that will be extremely effective at helping its customers.
Remember, running a business successfully does not need to be complicated. Keep it simple!
For more ideas on how to grow your business profitably, please check out our website at www.portalcfo.com.
Manny Skevofilax is a consultant and speaker that helps his clients successfully navigate the challenges of growing their businesses profitably. Since 2003, Manny helps businesses enhance their results by using his experience in strategic planning, financial statement analysis, operations, organizational development, and team-building. His consulting firm, PORTAL CFO Consulting, Inc., has attracted clients from diverse industries in the United States and abroad.
Manny can be reached at 410-808-3441 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.