One of the hardest parts of running a business with employees is dealing with workplace drama. It can affect everyone and the health of the business. Unhappy employees often bring everyone (and their productivity) down so it is important that you deal with the drama quickly and efficiently. Here are some tips to deal with workplace drama.
- Have rules against drama. By outlining office drama and your policy in your handbook, you are setting an example. You are showing your employees that you will not tolerate gossip, bullying, and other unhealthy behavior in your office.
- Catch it early. While most people know that employees will talk and tease each other, you shouldn’t let it go until it gets out of hand. Handle it before it gets too big and it will be much easier to stop.
- Don’t listen to gossip. Office gossip can really hurt employees. If you hear gossip, put a stop to it. You may be able to talk to key players, though you may also want to have a staff meeting about how you won’t tolerate gossip.
- Have punishments for “drama queens or kings.” Many people feed on gossip and drama. You need to make sure that you have punishments for those who spread gossip and cause trouble. You must enforce these in order to make them work.
- 4. If you are really struggling with drama in your workplace, you may want to consult some experts. There are behavioral experts who come into your office and give seminars on workplace drama. This may be a real eye-opener for some of your employees (as well as you)!
Remember, running a business successfully does not need to be complicated. Keep it simple!
For more information on business analysis, business planning, and ways to grow your business profitably, please check out our website www.portalcfo.com.